The Gaming Highway

Thank you for flying The Gaming Highway. Please relax and enjoy your flight.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Gaming Highway

Thank you for flying The Gaming Highway. Please relax and enjoy your flight.

The Gaming Highway

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Gameway Portal is up. Click Portal for news, post info, and most importantly, our new affiliates! Another game is in the works and will be released soon. Also, everyone give a warm welcome to our new admin, Abrecan Eyndrill!

How to write properly

Demi Ryu
    Demi Ryu
    Administratinator

Location : A very dark place. You call it hell, I call it home

How to write properly Empty How to write properly

Post  Demi Ryu Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:12 am

Writing In General

For this forum-based RPG, the standard, average writing style expected of players is third person, past tense, and in some cases, third person, present tense, though the latter is somewhat more difficult to pull off at times.
    There is no "I" or "Me" written in; that is third person. It is usually a pronoun/Character's name, He/she/it, and so forth.

Common Sense Writing

I feel this section should be placed here. As stated above, if you are going to go with a certain style of writing, please stick to it. Do not start off in third person, then shift to first, as it will be far too confusing for other players, as well as the reviewer of your application, to understand your actions.

Space after all punctuations; Periods (.), Commas (,), Exclamation Points (!), and so forth.

Speakers and Dialogue

For the average writer, it is recommend creating a new paragraph between action, and the start of dialogue, or your character's speech. Some advanced writers can pull off working dialogue in the middle of a paragraph, or just at the end. But, for most, it would be best to keep a new course of dialogue as a new paragraph. Remember to state the speaker, if necessary, and to use proper quotation marks. If there is action between the start of dialogue, and a new sentence of dialogue, then after the close of that speech/dialogue, prepare a new paragraph. When a new person, or dialogue is used in your post, please create an entirely new paragraph.

Also I cannot stress this enough. Detail, Detail, Detail! Be descriptive! Do not simply write something like this:

"Billy draws his sword and slashes Rin" <---- No No!

"Billy steps out of the dust created by Rin's attack. The battlefield was in total ruin after that last devastating attack. He moves his hand slowly to the hilt of his blade, watching for Rin's next move. He knew that Rin was a master of the sword, he could tell from that last furious assault.

"Damn, how am I going to get close enough to land an attack" Billy thought to himself, gripping his sword tightly. He points the blade to Rin in an offensive stance, readying for his upcoming strike. He flicks his eyes to the left, wanting to see how Rin reacts. Once he saw the reaction, Billy would charge forward, and attempt a horizontal slash to Rin's chest." <------ Yes Yes!

Just attempt to write well, that's all I, and any good player asks.

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:30 pm